The Faculty of Theology was founded in 1923 and has since been active as a centre for the dissemination of religious knowledge.
In 1951 by an Act of Parliament it was separated from Sofia University to become a higher theological school on its own, called Theological Academy “St. Kliment of Ohrid” under the tutelage of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church.
In July 1991 on the initiative of Sofia University the then Theological Academy became again a Faculty of the University.
The Faculty teaches theology to full-time and part-time students – in Bachelor and Master of Theology programmes, it trains hundreds of theologians, priests of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, teachers of religion, etc.