Recognition of higher education acquired at a foreign higher education institution with the purpose of obtaining access to further education within the higher education system of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski "
Pursuant to the Bulgarian Higher Education Act – Art. 21, item 13, the Ordinance of State Requirements for Recognition of Higher Education and Completed Periods of Education in Foreign Higher Educational Institutions and Sofia University Regulations, the applicants, seeking recognition by Sofia University shall submit the following documents to the Room 239, Maria Gureva, Phone: (+359 2) 9308 500, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form ;
- Original and copy of the applicant's secondary education diploma or notarial attested copy as stated in the Legalization Regulations, or an equivalent document, issued by an educational institution, legally recognized by a competent state institution as part of the secular system of the respective country;
- Original and copy of the applicant's academic transcript, or or notarial attested copy as stated in the Legalization Regulations, as well as original and copy of European academic transcript, if available;
- Original and copy of personal identification document, as well as a document to state changes in the names of the applicant, if applicable;
- Other documents, which according to the applicant are relevant to the recognition sought by him or her;
- Document for paid administrative fee.
The documents, required under Items 2 to 5 shall be legalized, translated and certified in accordance with the provisions of the international treaties between the Republic of Bulgaria and the country of their issuance, and in case of the lack of such treaties, in accordance with the general procedure for the legalization, translation and certification of documents and other papers. The document stating changes in the applicant names presented in a foreign language, must be accompanied by a respective translation in Bulgarian.
By virtue Art. 7a of the Regulations, allowance to evaluation of compliance with the state regulations for acquiring higher education in Bulgaria is denied in the following cases:
- a document presented for recognition which is not a diploma or equivalent higher educational document and is not issued according to the conditions under Art. 4, Item 1 of the Regulations;
- a diploma, issued by a foreign higher educational institution, recognised by a competent state institution of the respective country as a part of the secular system of higher education, but the education was provided by structures in the territory of another country which have not been identified and do not function under the statutory established by the law;
- a higher education document which, after verification, is identified as being not issued by the respective higher educational institution.